|Rain Barrel - Pencil drawing by me.|
And now, for something completely different
For some time, I've been experimenting with different combinations of vegetables and herbs to find the ultimate comfort soup. This one comes pretty close. Try it.
Potato - Vegetable Bisque
© George Epp
1- large or 2 medium-sized potatoes
2 - parsnips
2 - medium-sized carrots
2 - celery stalks
1/2 - large onion
2 - cloves garlic
3 - cups chicken broth
1 - tsp dry cilantro or 1 tbsp fresh chopped
1 - tsp dry basil or 1 tbsp fresh chopped
1/2 - tsp dry thyme
1 or 2 pinch cayenne pepper
1 - tbsp butter
1 - tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Coarsely chop first 6 ingredients, add salt and pepper to taste, saute for 7 - 8 minutes in butter and olive oil.
- Add 3 cups chicken broth, bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend with hand blender.
- Add and stir in herbs and spices and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Optionally, add crumbled, cooked farmer sausage.
Makes 4 large or 6 small servings.
Prep time - 45 minutes