Thursday, July 05, 2007

Some flowers and an acknowledgement











Readers of this blog will know that I've spoken very emphatically about the war in Afghanistan and the folly of that effort. Yesterday another half-dozen Canadians and one Afghani were killed by insurgent sabotage of a roadway. Take time to mourn the loss of those lives, or at least to pray for comfort for their families.
I have sent my views to the prime minister and to the minister of defense. Yesterday I got a four page letter from Gordon J O'Conner (Minister of Defense) which was more than a form letter since it addressed some of my concerns directly and was signed by him. It ran to four pages and outlined the reconstruction that is going on, but did not address my skepticism about the democratic nature - or lack thereof - of the Karzai government. O'Conner said that these concerns had been turned over to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Peter McKay, and I'm awaiting something from him.
Meanwhile, anyone who wants to read O'Conner's letter is welcome to email me at geoe41@yahoo.ca and I'll be happy to send you a copy by return email (pdf format).

This is the best time of year for flower gardeners and I'd like to share some of the wonderful images that nature has prepared for us through a combination of lots of rain, and, this week, heat and sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment