Monday, February 19, 2007

Presidents' Day - Prime Ministers' Day?

As I drove through Carlsbad to the thrift store this morning, I noticed the Stars and Stripes flapping in the stiff breeze in front of numerous homes and businesses. It's Presidents' Day, a statutory holiday that very few seem to observe. The library is obviously open and many business - particularly the big box and chain businesses - are also passing up on the holiday. I think we should have a Prime Ministers' Day in Canada when we could fly flags all over the place, post pictures of Pierre, Brian, Joe, Kim, John A., Sir Wilfred, etc., and do obeisance to their memory . . . and get another day off work!

J. passed away on Friday and Sunday morning service at Carlsbad Mennonite was a bit of a mournful affair. Unfortunately, a visiting speaker had been invited and most of us were not in the spirit for hearing a lengthy report on the Gideon's work, honourable and necessary as it may be. I had consented to teach the adult Sunday School class and there were probably about 40 people present. The lesson surrounded "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you so that where I am, you may be also." John 14. Once I had opened the discussion, there was no need to worry about the lesson; it carried itself and proved to be just the right one for a grieving community. I admit that I'm often skeptical about people's claims that God intervenes to smooth their paths, but I felt yesterday that I should probably rethink this.

It's a beautiful day in Carlsbad. About +22C with a little breeze from the southwest. Unfortunately Agnes is down with a bit of stomach 'flu - which has been circulating here for a bout two weeks - and can't enjoy it, and faithful husband that I am, I feel guilty if I enjoy it without her so I will wash and vacuum the car and not go golfing. A friend told me the other day that year-round, you can expect the day and night time temperatures to vary by at least 40F degrees, so it'll still freeze tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment